top of page

The #SlowSeven Local Food Challenge was started by Slow Food Barbados in 2016 to encourage individuals to eat locally for one week. That means, only using ingredients that are grown, caught, raised and produced right here in Barbados. This challenge aims to promote sustainable communities and healthy bodies and support local farmers and fisherfolk, increasing our emphasis on locally sourced food and the benefits to our local economy, environment, and community.


There are 3 categories for each meal/dish or recipe shared. However, you do not need to commit to one category for the entire week, you can swap around and try them all at various points! We will be judging per item/dish/recipe shared, so have fun with it. We also have an extensive list of participating restaurants, bars, and hotels that will be featuring #SlowSeven specials during the challenge, so you’re not restricted to cooking at home and creating your own meals throughout the week.


Level 2 - Slower

Slower participants will go 75% local for each dish or recipe shared. The remaining 25% can be items not found or produced in Barbados.

MENU: We understand that it could be difficult to give up or swap out certain basics that you use on a daily basis, so that’s why we’ve allowed for a certain leniency. However, we encourage you to be adventurous and creative wherever possible, and suggest that you try swapping out certain basics for local alternatives that you may not have considered before!

For example:

  • Coffee and chocolate: though there is locally roasted coffee and chocolate available, coffee and cocoa beans are not grown in Barbados. We encourage you to try a locally roasted coffee brand and regional chocolate brands.

  • Pineapples

  • Wines: there are a number of sweet, local wines available and we encourage you to try them!

  • Imported cheeses: There is cheese available locally, and we encourage you to try this in place of imported cheeses.

  • Butter


Level 1 - Slow

Slow is committing to at least 25% of your meal or recipe being local ingredients.

This is for the newbies who are unfamiliar with local products and want to break into the challenge slowly. If you would like to give it a try, commit to doing your best and have fun in the process!

MENU: Try at least 3 local meals during the challenge, swapping 3 imported ingredients for local alternatives when cooking or enjoying a meal out.

For example:

  • Flour: Swapping imported flour for local alternatives such as cassava, breadfruit, and sweet potato.

  • Swapping pasta for sweet potato as a side dish.

  • Local Fruit: Swapping strawberries and kiwi for soursop and Bajan cherries

  • Meet a local vendor/farmer/fisherperson.

  • Swapping imported fish such as salmon for a local, sustainable alternative fish such as lionfish.


Level 3 - Slowest

Slowest is restricted to only consuming or using products that can be grown, caught, made or raised in Barbados.

This category requires the most amount of creativity and attention to detail, such as checking ingredients in a dish to see where they come from and also speaking to your local farmers, vendors, and fisherfolk to really understand whether something is 100% local or imported. Often, it also requires making more of your own alternatives, such as sea salt and certain condiments. We try to help you with this as much as possible with our Local Buyer’s Guide.

Menu: with the wide variety of fruit, vegetables, seafood, meats and other locally produced items, this level is surprisingly easy. Using our local Buyer’s Guide and visiting local markets you will be surprised at how many delicious foods are available.

For example:

  • Butter: substitute imported butter with local coconut oil

  • Try foraging for a local delicacy such as sea purslane

  • Local bush tea

  • Substitute imported pasta for local zucchini ‘zoodles’ or even try making breadfruit pasta!

Screenshot 2019-09-17 at 12.04.22 PM.png



Slow Challenge Outline and Resources


Prize Categories

How to Participate

check our social to see what we've been up to

bottom of page